The Lighthouse of the European Commission of the Danube River, known as the old lighthouse, is a historical monument placed on the second street from Sulina town, Romania. Placed initially near the mouth of the Danube into the sea, the lighthouse is placed today at 1,5 km inside of the land because of the expansion of the land into the sea.
Having a truncated cone shape, the building is made by bricks bonded with lime mortar, plastered inside and outside. The lighthouse is 17.34 m high, and the access to the interior is made up of a spiral metal staircase, anchored in the masonry, and illuminated by three circular windows arranged at different heights.
The upper part of the lighthouse there was a platform for circulation, with a metal railing around the dome. Subsequently, it was arranged for visitor access. The headlamp of the Lighthouse, was made of 2 m diameter cylindrical copper sheet metal covered with sloping and topped girues.
The Lighthouse emitted a fixed white light, visible from a distance of 15 nautical miles. Initially, oil lamps were used for lighting, but from 1910 to 1911 electric lighting was introduced.
The lighthouse from Sulina was built by the Ottomans between 1869-1870, according to other sources at the beginning of the nineteenth century. It`s purpose was to warn and guide the low or night visibility of the ships that intended to enter the Sulina Channel coming from the Black Sea. The light of the lighthouse was visible from 15 nautical miles.
On April 1, 1879, the lighthouse was taken over by the European Commission of the Danube, a European Commission constituted by the Treaty of Paris of March 30, 1856, and responsible for overseeing the free movement on the Danube and free access to and from the Black Sea after the Crimea war.
After the European Commission of the Danube was end its job here in 1938, the Sulina lighthouse was transferred to the Lower Danube River Basin Administration and later to the Danube Delta Museum in Tulcea. In 1991, it was taken over by the Ministry of Culture and restored between 1995 and 1997, being transformed into a museum. Since 2003, the museum ensemble is under the administration of the Tulcea Eco-Museum Research Institute.
The current museum houses a hall dedicated to the Danube European Commission and the working cabinet of the writer Eugene P. Botez, known as the literary pseudonym Jean Bart.